Monday, September 3, 2007

What an Amazing Summer '07 (part IV)

This summer Kezia and I spent over a week together at two different camps in Ukraine with Oksana. She was our translator last year and again this year. She returned to Zhitomir with Kezia. She shared with us her testimony and we requested that she write it down so that we could share it with you. She is a committed believer to exudes God's grace and mercy through her smile and her life. Please enjoy her testimony of coming to faith and walking daily with God.

Oksana's testimony

“…How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!”

(Romans 11:33)

I live in a small village in Ukraine called Stryzhivka. This is where I took my first steps, said my first word, and tasted life in all its beauty and danger. When I was small, I was not deprived of parental love. My elder brother and I always had all that we needed. I thought that my family was perfect. Only later when I became older I understood that I was entirely wrong.

Since my birth my parents quarreled with each other. My father preferred alcohol in pubs to family dinners and dating other women to his wife’s love. When I was 13, he left us. The sufferings that my mother faced were unbelievable. All this caused a depression in my life. I could not understand why it happened to my family. Additionally, I did not have real friends with whom I could speak about this or simply cry. Only my brother tried to cheer me up.

A few years later he got married and his wife became like a sister to me. They began to visit a Protestant church. It was unexpected. I had heard about such churches but was against them. I considered myself to be an orthodox like my mother. That is why everything was very confusing, but I was curious to find out the truth for myself. When my brother invited me to the church, I agreed without any hesitation. I continued visiting because I wanted to know the answers to all my questions. These were my first steps to God. Later, I accepted Jesus as my Savior and began a new life.

I told my mother everything. At first she had no objections to me visiting the church, but then she realized that I was serious. She forbade me even to speak about going to the church or the small group. My mother was afraid of what people would say about her and her children. While she could not forbid my brother to do such things, she considered me too young to understand what I was doing. I was 16 and obeyed her. It was very difficult for me to live without communication with believers. My brother’s family was my only support.

One year later I entered the university in Ostroh and went to live there. I found a church and started visiting it. Of course, I told my mother about it. It seemed she was not against my attending. Every time I came home, we prayed before the meal and sometimes read the Bible together. When I grew up spiritually, I made a decision to be baptized. This began a new period of problems in my life. My mother begged me not to do this “sin.”

Sometimes it is very difficult to understand why she opposes this choice that I have made. She should be happy for me. I could be mixed up in something bad, but instead I know God who protects me from troubles. My mother knows that, but does not want to accept it. This hurts me so much because she is very precious to me.

I am not going to give up, especially after so many blessings that God sent to me. He created a new person inside me and absolutely changed my life. Like bright morning sunbeam fills a dark room with light, so did God with me. He became my Father, my Friend, my Lord, my Teacher, my Savior, and my Life!!! I know that He has a special plan for me. Even if I can’t give a meaning to it, I know that everything leads to my growth in God because He intends only the best for His children. I want to serve Him with all my heart, my mind, and my skills! I want to be ready every minute to accomplish His tasks and obey His will.

I’m going to be baptized this winter and believe that nothing will prevent me from this because God is on my side. Everything depends on Him. As for my mother, she knows about my desire and the choice is hers whether or not to agree. All that I can do is to pray for this situation. I am sure that my Lord will never leave me or forsake me! Thank you for listening.

No comments: