Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beyond Tradition


Easter is a big deal in Poland. Since the majority of Poles are Catholic, this holiday is one of the most holy and most observed. Special Easter markets appear in the city squares, with special flowers, painted eggs, cakes and cheeses, holiday greeting cards, and more. David and I enjoyed such a market in Kraków earlier this week. This Easter weekend, though, I'm alone in Warsaw as Dave is now in Ukraine. On Friday I attended a special "Great Friday" service at the Christian church on Puławska street. I later took the tram to the one synagogue still standing in Warsaw to buy matzos and that evening celebrated the sacrifice of our Passover Lamb. "Great Saturday" found me in Old Town Warsaw, amidst the lines of people streaming through the churches with food baskets in hand, seeking the priest's blessing. Each church uniquely displayed the body of Jesus, wrapped in linen, lying in the grave. Beggars sat in the doorways, huddled in the cold, hands cupped for alms. I met a few of them, and now pray for them by name. Today, on Resurrection Sunday, we gathered early to sing praise to our Redeemer who lives forever. Afterward, I took the tram to be in the city. The sky was cloudy, the wind cold, the city grey. The streets were unusually quiet -- the only ones out were the homeless, or a few on their way to a family gathering. I was glad to see the city shut down -- knowing families were together, honoring this special day. I pray, though, that this day goes beyond tradition in the hearts of the Polish people. I pray that the resurrection of our Lord will be a vibrant reality that brings hope and life to this nation. He is risen, He is risen, indeed. And He is coming again ... oh yes, He is coming soon. Lift up your eyes, O Poland -- your Redeemer is near!

No comments: