Thursday, April 12, 2012

Grappling with Smoleńsk


I can still remember that morning – April 10, 2010. I was at my computer in the basement of our home in Michigan, eager to read about the memorial events scheduled that day in honor of the victims of the Katyń massacre in 1940. As the headlines appeared that the plane en route to the memorial carrying Poland’s President Kaczyński and his wife, plus 94 other top officials, had crashed in Smoleńsk killing all aboard – I sat in stunned disbelief. I read the news over and over again, unable to process the magnitude of the tragedy. I wept.

In the days to come, investigations began amidst a swirl of conspiracy theories. Katyń, that “cursed” place where the Soviets had murdered 22,000 of Poland’s military officers and intelligentsia, had again claimed the lives of Poland’s elite – first in 1940 and now in 2010. Rumors of Russia’s involvement in the crash were hard to dispel amongst a people who have witnessed Soviet deception up close and personal for many years.

It has now been two years since the Smoleńsk tragedy. Official reports have declared the crash an accident based on pilot error as they attempted to land the plane in heavy fog. The plane’s wing was severed upon contact with birch trees, causing the plane to plummet to the ground. For some, though, this report is faulty, or at least insufficient.

When I first heard of the crash, I, too, wondered if Russia could have been involved. It would have been a perfect opportunity to eliminate Poland’s leadership in one strike, many of whom were anti-Russian in sentiment and policy. The negligence of Soviet officials at the crash site was appalling, and apparently there was evidence that didn’t line up with the official explanation. Yet as the months went by and the media repeated the story, I settled in my mind that it was simply a very unfortunate accident and I mourned for Poland’s loss. As far as I knew, most of my friends in Poland had arrived at the same conclusion.

But that shifted this week. I noticed a man on the bus reading a newspaper article about Smoleńsk. I peered over his shoulder and saw a two-page spread with photos from the crash site. I bought a copy at a nearby kiosk and, with the help of my Polish dictionary, waded through the conflicting evidence.

A couple days later some Polish friends invited us for supper. As it was the eve of the 10th, our discussion turned to Smoleńsk. I mentioned that I had read the newspaper article and assumed they would dismiss it as hearsay. To the contrary, and to my surprise, they admitted that they, too, were not convinced by the official report. One woman at the table was personally acquainted with 35 of those who died in the crash and had spoken with a dozen of them the day before the tragedy. Her eyes filled with tears, she simply shook her head. Another young woman claimed that most “thinking adults” in Poland realize there is more to the tragedy than the government is revealing. Everyone knows it, but no one speaks it. She believes that Russia is somehow involved and the truth should be known

And then the real dilemma surfaced. What if the Russians WERE responsible? What if they were to blame for this tragedy, causing the death of Poland’s president, first lady, and top officials? Is Poland in a position to wage war against Russia? If not, then who would come to Poland’s aid? How does the “little guy” hold the “big boy” accountable when all the other “big boys” are looking the other way? What price would Poland be willing to pay for the truth to be known and the guilty to be held responsible? Is there a point at which principle takes priority over peace?

For me, as an American, it was a strange and uncomfortable place in which I found myself – grappling with the issues from the “little guy” perspective.

I am not saying that Russia was responsible. It may indeed have been the tragic result of human error, as per the official report. Many Poles have resigned themselves to the fact that the complete truth may never be known. Others have waged a battle for the truth, sadly resorting to extreme measures of slander and accusation in an effort to promote a political agenda For the sake of the grieving friends and family and the nation of Poland as a whole, I hope the full truth will soon be revealed so that healing can begin. May all that is hidden be brought to the light and may those in authority have the courage, wisdom, and grace to agree with the truth and to administer fair justice.

No comments: